Sugar Free Ketchup

Sugar Free Ketchup Recipe
I searched high and low for a store bought sugar free ketchup and couldn't find one in my area. So I made my own! Now that I've had a taste of homemade, I'd never go back to
store bought – even if I could find a sugar free one! Try it and you'll see what I mean.

Makes about 2 cups
  • 1 28 oz can tomato puree
  • 1/2 cup white vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp celery salt
  • 1/2 tsp whole cloves
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 Tbl dehydrated onions
  • 1 inch piece cinnamon stick, broken
  • 3 Tbl sweetener*
Add tomatoes, cayenne & sweetener to a small saucepan and bring to boil. Reduce heat to a simmer until it thickens slightly (about half an hour)--stir occasionally. In another small saucepan, combine onion, vinegar, cinnamon, cloves and celery salt. Bring to boil, remove from heat, and strain out solids. Add strained vinegar and salt to tomato mixture. Simmer for 20 - 30 minutes or until ketchup is desired consistency. I ran mine through a magic bullet to get it nice and smooth after it cooled which you can do if you like a really smooth ketchup. Store in a clean glass jar for up to a month in the fridge.

Approx. nutrition info. per tablespoon: 10 calories, 0g fat, 1.7g net carbs, 0g protein

Article Source: The Gluten Free Low Carber by Mellissa Sevigny

No comments:

Author

authorHello, my name is Jim Black. I'm interested in healthy cooking and fitness.



About

This blog provides thousands of healthy and tasty low-carbohydrate recipes, you can do it... at home!