Scotch Eggs

Scotch Eggs Recipe
My husband asked me to make these after he tried some at a beer tasting. I was seeing
them everywhere & finally had to find out what all the fuss was about. So I made this low
carb
version & WOW are they good! All this time I had no idea what I was missing!

Makes 7 eggs
  • 7 large eggs
  • 1 tube of breakfast sausage
  • 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
  • ½ cup basic breading
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • oil for frying
Cover the eggs in cold water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil for 4 minutes.
Turn off heat and let them sit in the hot water for five minutes. Remove from the pan and
place in ice water. Cool for five minutes. Peel the eggs under cold running water and set on
a plate lined with paper towels. You may have to blot them as well, because you want them
completely dry when you wrap them with the sausage. Meanwhile, remove your sausage
from the tube and cut into 7 equal portions. Take a piece and using your left hand, flatten
the sausage out onto your right hand making an oblong oval that is about 1/4 inch thick.
Place an egg in the center of the sausage, cup your hand and use your fingers to wrap the
sausage completely around the egg. Then press as you would if forming a meatball to
make sure the meat is evenly wrapped and smooth. Set aside and repeat with the other
eggs. It sounds harder than it really is but you'll get the hang of it quickly. I started my oil
heating (in a heavy duty pan about 1/2 inch deep) while I wrapped these. Once they are all
wrapped, dip them first in the beaten egg, then the basic breading, and place them in your hot oil - I put the completed eggs onto a serving spoon and rolled them into the oil to
prevent splashing. They don't take long to cook, turn them every 2 minutes or less until
golden brown all the way around. Remove from the pan and place them on a paper towellined plate. Serve with hot sauce if desired.

Approx. nutrition info. per egg: 321 calories, 28g fat, 2g net carbs, 15g protein

Article Source: The Gluten Free Low Carber by Mellissa Sevigny

No comments:

Author

authorHello, my name is Jim Black. I'm interested in healthy cooking and fitness.



About

This blog provides thousands of healthy and tasty low-carbohydrate recipes, you can do it... at home!